Bartleby Press

Bartleby Press

Monday, June 11, 2012

Why everyone needs a good proofreader…


Copywriters and bulletin editors tend to take things personally. When I was publishing an Irish culture magazine I detested it when something I've written went to a proofreader or copyeditor and my work came back all marked up. "I wanted THAT comma just where I put it!!"

On the other hand, it is embarrassing when I've printed an article and someone sends an email saying "I could not read the article because of the errors?"

When you are gathering copy for your weekly bulletin it may come to you in bits and pieces with the expectation that the editor will clean it up, rewrite it or edit it down for space. That takes time and if you are still putting the bulletin together you are behind the eight ball every week or rolling that massive stone. It tends to create a Sisyphus atmosphere. You remember the mythical cruel Corinth king condemned in Hades to roll a boulder up a hill only to have roll back down again. 



Bartleby Press’ church bulletin service takes the layout process out of your hands allowing for more time to edit and proofread. If you would like more time to proofread and write your bulletin visit www.bartlebypress.com under the Church Publishing and Website Services menu or call us at 512-452-3413

No comments:

Post a Comment